MIAMI (CNN) — For the first time since 1957, the city of Miami went at least seven weeks without a single murder.
The city did not report a homicide from Feb. 17 to April 12.
The Miami Police Department released the statistics this week.
While ‘stay at home’ orders are playing a role, the police chief says the trend started in mid-February before social distancing was put in place.
Miami police say other crimes have also decreased in the area.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Bracing for the upcoming flu season during a pandemic
- Florida coronavirus: State tallies 2,521 new cases
- Idaho pastor hospitalized after defying mask mandate
- Group issues Halloween 2020 guidelines, color-coded coronavirus risk map
- FSU coach Norvell tests positive for coronavirus before Miami game