(WFLA) – A mother and calf pair of manatees were were released on Tuesday in Hobe Sound, after being rehabilitated for 10 months at Miami Seaquarium.
Teams from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute and the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute helped with the release.
The adult female manatee measured 11 1/2 feet long and weighed approximately 1,700 lbs at the time of rescue.
Her calf was almost 5 1/2 feet long and approximately 100 lbs at rescue.
Floridians and visitors can learn more about manatees and their safety by going online.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Democrats cancel Texas event after Trump supporters surround, follow Biden bus
- Obama to visit Florida day before Election Day for Joe Biden
- US citizen kidnapped in Niger rescued in American military operation
- Last day to vote early in these Tampa Bay area counties
- TV news anchor gunned down in Downtown Juarez