ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — An Alabama man arrested for camping out on a shuttered Disney World island has been fined $100 and banned from the Florida theme park for life.
The Orlando Sentinel reports 42-year-old Richard McGuire pleaded no contest to trespassing under a plea agreement in Orange County, Florida.
Orange County Sheriff’s deputies found McGuire on Disney’s abandoned Discovery Island in April.
The man, originally from Mobile, Alabama, said he didn’t hear numerous deputies searching the private island for him and told a deputy he didn’t know it was a restricted area, despite “no trespassing” signs.
Discovery Island had been a zoological park before it was closed in 1999.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Bear runs into Tennessee restaurant, then meanders along the sidewalk beside visitors
- Which states are sending the most people to Florida
- Man arrested in sexual battery on woman walking home from Tampa nightclub, sheriff’s office says
- Why you may start seeing alerts for ‘destructive’ thunderstorm warnings on your phone
- Former local athlete wins first Olympic medal for Brazil in tennis