ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — An Alabama man arrested for camping out on a shuttered Disney World island has been fined $100 and banned from the Florida theme park for life.
The Orlando Sentinel reports 42-year-old Richard McGuire pleaded no contest to trespassing under a plea agreement in Orange County, Florida.
Orange County Sheriff’s deputies found McGuire on Disney’s abandoned Discovery Island in April.
The man, originally from Mobile, Alabama, said he didn’t hear numerous deputies searching the private island for him and told a deputy he didn’t know it was a restricted area, despite “no trespassing” signs.
Discovery Island had been a zoological park before it was closed in 1999.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Missing Child Alert issued for 2-month-old infant last seen in Fort Myers
- Teachers told to offer books ‘opposing’ views on Holocaust
- Florida facing severe staffing shortage at school districts across the state
- Tampa businesses prepare as cruises set sail for first time since start of the pandemic
- Deputy spoke with Armando Caballero before he was suspect in Marcano disappearance, report reveals