ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (WESH)—A man is in custody after killing his wife and son at their home near South John Young Parkway early Sunday morning, officials said.
At 1:15 a.m., Orange County deputies responded to a shooting in the 11600 block of Darlington Drive.
Investigators found Jodie Rivera, 57, and Matthew Rivera, 21, with gunshot wounds. They were later pronounced dead by Orange County Fire Rescue, officials said.
Smith Rivera, 59, admitted to authorities that he killed his wife and son.
The sister of the shooter told WESH 2 News that her brother is a father of three who had been depressed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
According to the arrest report, Rivera fired his weapon at a third person who was able to escape.
Rivera’s sister said the person that was able to escape the home was another son.
Rivera is charged with two counts of first degree murder with a firearm and one count of attempted first degree murder with a firearm.
- Florida Senate passes no-fault auto insurance repeal bill
- Olympus Pools customers say dream backyards turned into expensive nightmares
- Piney Point owner calls DEP insinuations about breach ‘preposterous’
- Florida Senate passes ‘anti-riot’ bill, moves to Gov. DeSantis’ desk
- CDC: Just 5,800 people have gotten COVID after being vaccinated