PARKLAND, Fla. (WFLA) — Nikolas Cruz, the man charged with killing 17 people in a mass shooting at his former high school in 2018, will plead guilty next week to premeditated murder, his lawyer told a judge on Friday.
The alleged shooter was in court on Friday pleading guilty to four separate charges for attacking a law enforcement officer during an incident in jail.
Police say the now-23-year-old previously confessed to shooting and killing 17 people, including 14 students, and wounding 17 others at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. on Valentine’s Day 2018.
His attorney, David Wheeler, told the judge Friday “it’s our intent to enter a change of plea, as to both cases, to all charges.”
Florida Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer will determine what sentence he will receive on the brawling charges.
Scherer said the conviction from Friday’s plea deal could be used as evidence of an aggravating factor to determine whether he will get the death penalty during the deliberation for his homicide trial.
Scherer scheduled a hearing for next Wednesday at 9 a.m. for the official guilty plea on 17 counts each of premeditated murder and attempted murder.