OCALA, Fla. (WESH) – UPDATE 1:25 p.m.: Two people are dead after a plane crashed Thursday morning along a busy road in Ocala, police said.
Ocala Police Department officials said the plane was experiencing some type of mechanical issue when it started going down. The aircraft clipped the top of an SUV on S.R. 200 and then hit a pole before going up in flames.
Police are asking people to avoid the area of State Road 200. The crash occurred just west of Interstate 75. State Road 200 is expected to be closed for hours.
Police said the two people killed were on board the plane. The driver of the SUV was taken to a hospital for treatment.
The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crash.
ORIGINAL STORY: A plane crashed Thursday morning in Ocala, police said.
The circumstances surrounding the crash were not immediately available, but police are asking people to avoid the area of Southwest College Road and State Road 200.
The plane crash appears to have occurred just west of Interstate 75.
It’s unclear if anyone was hurt.
- Tropical Storm Zeta forecast to intensify into hurricane as it enters Gulf
- ‘Outright inconceivable’: Rays rally in bottom of 9th for improbable comeback
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Hot with a few PM showers possible each day this week as Zeta moves into the Gulf
- Brett Phillips, the hometown hero, clutch for Rays in Game 4
- MasterCraft Pro wraps up 2020 waterski season