TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Gov. Ron DeSantis has asked President Donald Trump to declare Florida a disaster area, saying the coronavirus outbreak is having a “drastic effect” on the state’s economy and medical providers.
His letter to Trump released late Monday says Florida’s hospitals and first responders are facing challenges rarely experienced.
A declaration would make Florida eligible for federal aid.
This is no hurricane but DeSantis wrote that the state has already spent $208 million and its medical system is already burdened, with limited testing showing more than 1,400 people infected and 17 deaths.
Trump has not acted on the request.
- City of Tampa gets creative with ‘social distance’ messages
- WATCH LIVE: Arkansas Governor Hutchinson to provide COVID-19 update to public at 1:30 p.m.
- Early hurricane season forecasts predict a slightly above average season
- 24-year-old Florida man tortured, killed dog before baking it, deputies say
- Another cruise ship with coronavirus victims docking in Florida