TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Gov. Ron DeSantis has asked President Donald Trump to declare Florida a disaster area, saying the coronavirus outbreak is having a “drastic effect” on the state’s economy and medical providers.
His letter to Trump released late Monday says Florida’s hospitals and first responders are facing challenges rarely experienced.
A declaration would make Florida eligible for federal aid.
This is no hurricane but DeSantis wrote that the state has already spent $208 million and its medical system is already burdened, with limited testing showing more than 1,400 people infected and 17 deaths.
Trump has not acted on the request.
- Coca-Cola Company phasing out one of its longtime beverages
- Lakeland child, neighbor rescue siblings & grandmother from house fire
- How important is the COVID-19 booster shot for 5-to-11-year-olds? 5 questions answered
- ‘Horrific’: Man accused of killing woman after argument in Valrico bar, deputies say
- Lawyer for woman arrested at McDonald’s accuses sheriff of ridiculing her with ‘Happy Meal’ comment