TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida State University has canceled a continuing service agreement with one of the school’s biggest construction contractors after photos surfaced of one of the company’s co-owners in blackface.
FSU President John Trasher canceled the agreement with Childers Construction Co. after photos surfaced of Sam Childers wearing blackface during a 2015 engagement party that fell on Halloween.
Childers, who is white, is the company’s co-owner and vice president. Childers apologized to Thrasher and the school’s board in a June letter.
He denied any racist intent and said he had dressed up as Bob Marley since he was a musical hero.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Hillsborough vaccine appointment calls may show up as ‘Spam Risk’ on caller ID
- Florida to receive an 18% increase in COVID-19 vaccine allotment, Gov. DeSantis says
- Winner of ‘Worst Cooks in America’ arrested in death of adopted 3-year-old daughter
- St. Pete city leaders announce proposals for Tropicana Field site redevelopment
- Small diverse-owned businesses hope to benefit from the Super Bowl in Tampa Bay