DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman told authorities that she fatally shot her boyfriend in self-defense on Christmas Eve when he raised a tomahawk over her as she was lying in bed.
Jill Fritch told deputies that she grabbed a gun and shot Troy Sorrell late Thursday out of fear that he was going to attack her with the tomahawk.
The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement that Fritch was not being charged with any crime while the investigation continued.
Fritch previously had an injunction against Sorrell from 2015 until January 2020. Deputies conducted a well-being check at their address in October.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Trump State Department aide charged with assault at Capitol
- Man accused of killing mother and children found dead in St. Louis
- ‘She was so little:’ Mom delivers premature ‘miracle’ baby in car during Texas storm
- Bucs’ WR Mike Evans helps raise money for cancer research
- Pasco DCF employee, husband accused of sexually abusing teen daughter