PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — A former Florida high school teacher was sentenced to 12 years in prison for sexually abusing students after the judge ignored his request to be castrated instead.
Mark Lua told a judge in Pensacola Wednesday that he wanted to raise his daughter, so he volunteered for chemical or even physical castration if that would spare him a prison sentence.
The 32-year-old former English teacher pleaded guilty last year to sexual assault charges involving current and former students.
Prosecutor Erin Ambrose told Judge Thomas Dannheisser that Lua targeted vulnerable girls.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- ExxonMobil contractor fired after displaying noose to coworker
- Buying a car? Pandemic drives prices up, steers buyers away
- Tiger Woods faces hard recovery from ‘significant’ injuries in car crash
- Third stimulus checks: Key vote coming that will impact $1,400 payments
- WWE star ‘The Big Show’ switching gears to rival, Florida-based company ‘All Elite Wrestling’