WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida high school principal who was fired last year after telling a student’s mother “not everyone believes the Holocaust happened” has been rehired.
The Palm Beach County school board voted 4-3 on Wednesday to reinstate former Spanish River High School principal William Latson based on an administrative law judge’s recommendation. He will receive $152,000 in back pay.
The board’s only Jewish member, Karen Brill says the action will leave a stain on the district.
Larson was fired last October.
The board made it clear it was reluctant to rehire Latson but feared a lawsuit and a costly court battle.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Prosecutors: Florida man lied to get virus relief money
- First COVID-19 treatment approved by FDA studied early on during pandemic at Sarasota Memorial Hospital
- Local hospitalized man racks up bills on stolen truck trapped in tow yard, family says company won’t budge on price
- Navy: ‘Aircrew did not survive’ crash in Alabama neighborhood
- Questions remain on if, how COVID-19 impacts the human heart