WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A Florida high school principal who was fired last year after telling a student’s mother “not everyone believes the Holocaust happened” has been rehired.
The Palm Beach County school board voted 4-3 on Wednesday to reinstate former Spanish River High School principal William Latson based on an administrative law judge’s recommendation. He will receive $152,000 in back pay.
The board’s only Jewish member, Karen Brill says the action will leave a stain on the district.
Larson was fired last October.
The board made it clear it was reluctant to rehire Latson but feared a lawsuit and a costly court battle.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Red tide beach hazards: NWS issues statement warning of possible respiratory irritation in Pinellas
- Plague discovered in 6 Colorado counties after 10-year-old dies
- Tampa police hold memorial ceremony to mark 40 years since officer’s death
- Lightning re-sign forward Gemel Smith to 2-year deal
- ‘Shirtless Tongan’ Pita Taufatofua leads country during Parade of Nations