STUART, Fla. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials say a Florida man mistook a noise outside his bedroom door for an intruder and fatally shot his pregnant wife.
The shooting happened just around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in Stuart.
Martin County Sheriff William Snyder says the man frantically called 911, telling dispatchers he accidentally shot his wife.
She was taken to a hospital where she died.
The sheriff says the man gave detectives a detailed account of what happened.
A 2-year-old child also in the home was not injured.
Snyder says the case is being investigated. He warns people with guns to be careful when using deadly force.
- ‘We will not stay silent’: Bradenton family wants accountability after death of USF student in house explosion
- Hillsborough County seniors will get second vaccine under new vendor
- HHS Secretary Azar ‘still serving the American people’ as he submits resignation effective Jan. 20
- New Jersey causes stir by making smokers eligible for COVID vaccine
- Federal judge refuses to release man wearing horns and face paint from custody after Capitol riot