STUART, Fla. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials say a Florida man mistook a noise outside his bedroom door for an intruder and fatally shot his pregnant wife.
The shooting happened just around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in Stuart.
Martin County Sheriff William Snyder says the man frantically called 911, telling dispatchers he accidentally shot his wife.
She was taken to a hospital where she died.
The sheriff says the man gave detectives a detailed account of what happened.
A 2-year-old child also in the home was not injured.
Snyder says the case is being investigated. He warns people with guns to be careful when using deadly force.
- What’s the ‘best state’? Poll ranks U.S. states from best to worst
- 1 hospitalized after small plane makes emergency landing in Venice country club pond
- Food Network recipe for popcorn and mayo salad is going viral
- Tampa Bay Rays clinch series against New York Yankees
- Allergy season is getting longer and more intense