STUART, Fla. (AP) — Sheriff’s officials say a Florida man mistook a noise outside his bedroom door for an intruder and fatally shot his pregnant wife.
The shooting happened just around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in Stuart.
Martin County Sheriff William Snyder says the man frantically called 911, telling dispatchers he accidentally shot his wife.
She was taken to a hospital where she died.
The sheriff says the man gave detectives a detailed account of what happened.
A 2-year-old child also in the home was not injured.
Snyder says the case is being investigated. He warns people with guns to be careful when using deadly force.
- Which states are you most likely to die in an animal attack?
- Parking spots as outdoor seats ending in St. Petersburg
- Iconic Tampa bakery celebrates anniversary, museum honoring baseball greats opens this weekend
- Prosecutors to seek death penalty for suspect in Lakeland family massacre
- Brian Laundrie manhunt: Search picks up at Carlton Reserve after FBI issues arrest warrant for Gabby Petito’s fiancé