JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (WFLA) - A Florida man was arrested Monday after police say he was driving a stolen rental truck containing stolen caskets.
Jacksonville Police say David Ayers, 39, led officers on a brief chase in the stolen Ryder truck that was later found to be transporting three funeral caskets and other cargo.
Florida Highway Patrol says a trooper found the truck traveling on Interstate-295 in Jacksonville and discovered it had previously been reported stolen. Ayers failed to pull over for the trooper, FHP says, until he finally stopped at Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway and Moncreif Road.
Troopers apprehended Ayers and found the empty caskets, which are believed to have been stolen from a local funeral home or casket manufacturer.
Ayers is charged with vehicle theft, attempt to elude law enforcement, driving with a suspended or revoked license, and other charges.
- Image copyright 2019 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Oregon man arrested after disappearance of mother, young son
- Polk man sentenced to life imprisonment in kidnapping, rape of teen
- Stan Lee's former manager arrested on elder abuse charges
- Pedestrian struck by vehicle in front of Lowe's in Spring Hill