(CNN) – Hot air balloons are getting an upgrade, a big one.
A Florida company called Space Perspective is developing one that’s out of this world.
Their high-tech hot air balloon is called Spaceship Neptune. It’s designed to transport a pilot and eight travelers in a pressurized capsule suspended from an enormous blimp.
The company has scheduled a test flight for early 2021. That trip will carry research payloads and no crew. But the company hopes to start taking space tourists in a few years.
The ride would go 100,000 feet up in the air and last six hours.
You can reserve a seat on Space Perspective’s website, but the prices are sky high.
According to Anchorage Daily News, passengers can expect to pay roughly $125,000 for a ticket.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Long stretch of warm and mostly dry days ahead
- Working from home improving mental health of dads much more than moms, study reveals
- Researchers find link between exercise and sense of purpose in life
- 5 U.S. colleges make top 10 list of best universities in the world
- Fauci says pandemic exposed ‘undeniable effects of racism’