STUART, Fla. (WPTV/CNN) – The Coast Guard is warning Florida boaters of a bridge in imminent danger of collapse.
Officials said a large crack developed in the Roosevelt Bridge in Stuart Wednesday morning.
The Old Dixie Highway, which runs under the bridge, was closed.
The Florida Department of Transportation discovered the problem while doing some routine maintenence.
“What we do know is some concrete fell from underneath the Roosevelt Bridge and there were concerns about the bridge and its safety at that time. So, um, we immediately, out of caution, closed down southbound lanes to ensure that it is safe for everybody,” said police spokesman Brian Bossio.
Extensive repairs are expected after structural engineers take a closer look at the bridge.
- Florida to lower COVID-19 vaccine age range to 60 and up next Monday, DeSantis says
- Florida coronavirus: 4,098 new cases, 63 new deaths reported Sunday
- Sunshine State dims for Dems amid election losses, cash woes
- States are dropping mask mandates but still urge wearing them – which message will the public follow?
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 4,690 new cases, 98 new deaths