MARTIN COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The first leatherback sea turtle nest of 2020 was found in Martin County, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute.
The nest was found and photographed by a citizen on south Hutchinson Island.
Ecological Associates Inc. confirmed it was a leatherback nest.
The FWC Research Institute confirmed this is the earliest leatherback nest documented in Florida. Sea turtle nesting season generally occurs from May 1 to Oct. 31 in Florida.
Five types of sea turtles nest in the state including the leatherback turtle, green, Kemp’s Ridley, loggerhead and Hawksbill sea turtles.
A total of 193 leatherback nests were recorded in the state in 2019.
LATEST WFLA+ HEADLINES:
- Biden to visit Tampa to talk Social Security, health care costs
- DeSantis still working to raise Florida teacher pay 4 years later
- Florida sets date for Disney special session, immigration, college athletics
- Homebuying in US gets more affordable as rates start to drop, report says
- US government proposes rule to save Americans $9B by reducing credit card late fees