TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Duke Energy and Piedmont Natural Gas announced Friday it would no longer disconnect customers’ power over nonpayment amid the coronavirus outbreak.
“As part of your community and a provider of essential services, we are here to support you during this uncertain time. Since many of our customers may be facing unusual financial hardship, we are suspending disconnection for nonpayment effective immediately,” the company said in a tweet.
This will apply to all home and business accounts in Florida, as well as Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina and Tennessee.
- Police find 192 rolls of toilet paper stashed in stolen SUV in Beverly Hills
- Worldwide coronavirus cases top 1 million doubling in just over a week
- 1,000 additional COVID-19 tests available at Raymond James Stadium
- Florida coronavirus: Gov. DeSantis signs executive order superseding local COVID-19 orders
- Coronavirus in US: More than 8,000 Americans have recovered from COVID-19