ORLANDO, Fla. (WESH) – A carjacking attempt was thwarted Tuesday when the would-be thief was unable to drive the stick shift vehicle he tried to steal, deputies said.
Officials with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Jaelyn Alexander, 25, tried to carjack an elderly man at the intersection of East Colonial Drive and Dean Road a little before noon.
He quickly realized he couldn’t drive the manual transmission car that he’d gotten into, so deputies said he stole another car and took off.
Deputies said they spotted Alexander a short time later and he was taken into custody.
Alexander is charged with carjacking, battery on a victim over 65 and grand theft.
- Hearing wraps up for convicted cop killer who wants new trial
- VIDEO: Florida homeowner cleverly activates security camera to capture armed carjacking
- Tampa Bay Rays employee faces 39 counts of child pornography
- Mom said two fake child protective services agents tried to take her son
- Boy left in hot car Tuesday evening as punishment by father, police say