ORLANDO, Fla. (WESH) – A carjacking attempt was thwarted Tuesday when the would-be thief was unable to drive the stick shift vehicle he tried to steal, deputies said.
Officials with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Jaelyn Alexander, 25, tried to carjack an elderly man at the intersection of East Colonial Drive and Dean Road a little before noon.
He quickly realized he couldn’t drive the manual transmission car that he’d gotten into, so deputies said he stole another car and took off.
Deputies said they spotted Alexander a short time later and he was taken into custody.
Alexander is charged with carjacking, battery on a victim over 65 and grand theft.
- Uproar over proposed replacement for aging Cortez Bridge
- Polk deputies searching for armed robbery suspects
- Firefighters calm frightened girl after crash by letting her paint their nails
- Warner and Kaine introduce ‘Virginia Beach Strong Act’ in Senate
- Three-legged therapy dog needs surgery after falling on amputation site