ORLANDO, Fla. (WESH) – A carjacking attempt was thwarted Tuesday when the would-be thief was unable to drive the stick shift vehicle he tried to steal, deputies said.
Officials with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Jaelyn Alexander, 25, tried to carjack an elderly man at the intersection of East Colonial Drive and Dean Road a little before noon.
He quickly realized he couldn’t drive the manual transmission car that he’d gotten into, so deputies said he stole another car and took off.
Deputies said they spotted Alexander a short time later and he was taken into custody.
Alexander is charged with carjacking, battery on a victim over 65 and grand theft.
- Trump: Mideast peace plan likely rolled out in days
- Bill would shield state lawmakers’ addresses from public record
- Florida lawmakers hoping to increase penalties for bear poaching
- Missing St. Petersburg Rottweiler reunited with owner after wild odyssey
- Has Tampa cracked down on illicit health spas as promised in 2018?