ORLANDO, Fla. (WESH) – A carjacking attempt was thwarted Tuesday when the would-be thief was unable to drive the stick shift vehicle he tried to steal, deputies said.
Officials with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said Jaelyn Alexander, 25, tried to carjack an elderly man at the intersection of East Colonial Drive and Dean Road a little before noon.
He quickly realized he couldn’t drive the manual transmission car that he’d gotten into, so deputies said he stole another car and took off.
Deputies said they spotted Alexander a short time later and he was taken into custody.
Alexander is charged with carjacking, battery on a victim over 65 and grand theft.
- Swimming Day 9 roundup: Dressel and McKeon chase history
- What exactly is a COVID-19 vaccine ‘breakthrough’ case?
- ‘We’re just playing a sport’: US Olympic athletes on mental health challenges
- Senate holds rare Saturday session to work on bipartisan infrastructure bill
- New Carnival ship sets sail on maiden voyage, first to cruise from Port Canaveral