Bond set at more than $1.5 million for Florida man accused of attempted kidnapping

Florida

PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) — Bond has been set at more than $1.5 million for the Pensacola man accused of trying to kidnap an 11-year-old girl Tuesday morning.

Jared Paul Stanga, 30, appeared in county circuit court via video stream from the Escambia County jail Wednesday afternoon.

A county judge set bond at $1 million for the attempted kidnapping, $500,000 for aggravated assault with a weapon and $5,000 for simple battery.

Stanga is accused of trying to kidnap the young girl at about 7 a.m. Tuesday morning at the corner of Old Corry Field Road and Perdido Street. The girl had been waiting at the bus stop when Stanga pulled up in a white Dodge Journey, ran toward her, and grabbed her.

Video shows Stanga tripping, the girl fighting back and eventually getting away.

Stanga’s attorney asked for a lesser bond, but the request was denied. Prosecutor Erin Ambrose pointed to prior crimes committed, including a child sex allegation and child neglect.

If Stanga makes bond, he will be required to have no contact with the victim and be electronically monitored.

Escambia County Sheriff Chip Simmons said Stanga had approached the girl once before, about two weeks ago, as she was waiting at a bus stop. The man spoke Spanish, and the girl did not understand everything he said, but Simmons said the incident made her uncomfortable.

“She seems to be doing well,” Simmons said Tuesday. “I’m not so sure if she actually comprehends exactly what could have happened. She understands what happened. She fought like a trooper, and one of these days I’m going to give her an award for fighting, and fighting, and fighting.”

Stanga’s arraignment is scheduled for June 10 at 8:30 a.m.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss