MIAMI (CNN/WFLA) — A piece of ‘artwork’ featuring a banana duct taped to a wall sold for $120,000 in Miami last week.
It was made by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, who is known for his off-the-wall work.
The piece is called “The Comedian” and was displayed at Miami’s prestigious Art Basel art fair.
But what’s the message the artist is trying to get across?
Some believe the piece is mocking the art world and its inequalities. But others simply say, ‘don’t overthink it.’
There were three editions of this piece, and the third will likely collect the highest price – $150,000.
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Mostly dry this afternoon, storms arrive later in day storms with winds turning breezy
- Friday Night Blitz: Pinellas Park Patriots vs Mitchell Mustangs
- Friday Night Blitz: Tarpon Springs Spongers vs River Ridge Royal Knights
- Friday Night Blitz: Auburndale Bloodhounds vs Lake Gibson Braves
- Friday Night Blitz: Kathleen Red Devils vs Strawberry Crest Chargers