ORLANDO, Fla. (WFLA) – Sheriff’s officials in Orange County say a 5-year-old boy apparently found a relative’s gun inside a vehicle that was parked in a parking lot and accidentally shot himself to death.
The shooting happened around 4 p.m. Tuesday in the family’s vehicle which was parked outside the Neighborhood Kids Academy Preschool.
Orange County Sheriff’s officials said that Judah Todman was found in the vehicle.
Family members took the boy to nearby Florida Hospital East where he was declared dead.
Deputies were called to the hospital to investigate.
Investigators say the wound appeared to be accidentally self-inflicted.
Sheriff’s officials say they’re sending the case to the state attorney for further review.
Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings reminded people that they need to lock their guns.
:”Adults need to make certain that they secure their firearms even when they are in a car because children are naturally curious,” said Demings.
People at neighboring businesses say they did not hear anything unusual.
Information from the Associated Press and WESH was used in this report.STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Las Vegas gunman’s girlfriend returns to US for questioning
- FBI joins investigation to find missing Sarasota teen Jabez Spann
- Poll: Few approve of Trump’s Puerto Rico response
- University of Florida student shot during Las Vegas massacre
- 12 arrested in Polk child porn investigation
- Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock wired $100,000 to Philippines
- Better Call Behnken: Driver gets red-light ticket for ‘violation’ during Sarasota funeral procession