DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The Florida Highway Patrol says three people were killed when a suspected carjacker fleeing from police drove the wrong way onto Interstate 95 and collided with another vehicle.
Authorities say two other people were injured in crash around 7 p.m. Tuesday.
Volusia County Sheriff’s officials say the man had been involved in a carjacking earlier Tuesday in Orange County.
They say he was fleeing from sheriff’s deputies on northbound I-95. He suddenly turned into the southbound lanes, going against traffic with his headlights off.
Deputies tried to stop oncoming traffic, but he collided head-on with an oncoming car.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Georgia man arrested for murder of his parents
- Bradenton man missing and endangered after not returning from daily walk
- Monarch butterfly population moves closer to extinction
- NYC teacher arrested after flying to Tampa to have sex with minor, deputies say
- Ted Cruz vs. Seth Rogen: Republican Texas senator and actor take shots over Twitter