MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) — The Brevard Zoo has welcomed a baby giraffe.
Zoo officials say the giraffe was born on Sunday in Melbourne. The calf weighed 125 pounds and was 6-feet tall at birth.
In a statement, the zoo said it’s the sixth consecutive male calf born there. It was the ninth birth for the calf’s 20-year-old mother, Johari. The calf’s father is 21-year-old Rafiki, who has sired all 14 giraffe born at the zoo.
The veterinary staff says the calf is in good health and nursing well.
- St. Pete protests remain peaceful following night of remembrance for Breonna Taylor and George Floyd
- Protest organizers refuse to let instigators get violent in Tampa
- Joe Biden formally clinches Democratic presidential nomination
- Florida family of 4 killed following plane crash in Georgia
- Hernando County protests remain peaceful despite counter-protesters