MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) — The Brevard Zoo has welcomed a baby giraffe.
Zoo officials say the giraffe was born on Sunday in Melbourne. The calf weighed 125 pounds and was 6-feet tall at birth.
In a statement, the zoo said it’s the sixth consecutive male calf born there. It was the ninth birth for the calf’s 20-year-old mother, Johari. The calf’s father is 21-year-old Rafiki, who has sired all 14 giraffe born at the zoo.
The veterinary staff says the calf is in good health and nursing well.
- 150 missing Tennessee children recovered by law enforcement during months-long operation
- Michael Stanley, Cleveland music legend, dealing with ‘serious health issues,’ family says
- Former Buccaneer Kellen Winslow II gets 14 years for rapes
- Biden: ‘Big mistake’ by states to drop mask rule
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 6,014 new cases, 132 new deaths