JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (WFLA) – A Florida woman who was severely burned by a cup of Starbucks coffee in 2014 was awarded over $100,000 for her injuries on Thursday.
Joanne Mogavero, 43, was at a Starbucks drive-thru window in Jacksonville when she sustained first and second-degree burns on her mid-section after a lid popped off of her venti-sized coffee, sending the scalding 190-degree beverage into her lap, according to Morgan & Morgan attorneys who represented her.
Mogavero’s lawsuit said the lid “was either not attached properly or was defective.” Her attorneys argued Starbucks should warn its customers the lids can pop off.
According to a statement from Morgan & Morgan, a Starbucks representative testified during the trial that the company receives about 80 complaints each month about issues regarding to cups leaking or lids popping off.
A jury awarded Mogavero $15,000 to cover her medical bills and an additional $85,000 for pain and disfigurement.STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- 10-foot-long gator dead after collision with motorcycle in Wimauma
- Owner of SUV in Pasco hit-and-run crash arrested for filing false police report
- Local Parenting Experts: How to survive the summer with your kids
- Navy man who crashed into Times Square was based in Jacksonville
- WATCH: Driver caught on camera hitting child, driving away in Holiday
- Visitors meet April the giraffe and baby in person
- Police officer suffers fentanyl overdose from drug call