TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – While Donald Trump’s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski will not be charged for battery in connection with a March incident involving a reporter, he is launching a new attack – this time against the Republican National Committee and the Republican Party of Florida chair.
“These rules are so archain they are stopping people who want to go and vote,” Lewandowski said on Fox News Sunday.
“In the state of Florida Donald Trump dominated by 23 points over all of his competitors and he was awarded 99 delegates under the party rules. The chairman of the party of Florida, who is an avid and outward supporter of Marco Rubio, gets to appoint 30 of those delegates,” Lewandowski continued.
Lewandowski was incorrect when he said Trump won Florida by 28 points. It was actually by 19 points, and the chairman in Florida only recommends 15 of the delegates. But some say don’t discount his larger message.
“His narrative is the system is broken, it’s rigged. In this case, he knows going into the convention the idea that voters have, that is totally wrong that one person, one vote is not in play here,” Republican media strategist Adam Goodman said.
“Yes, the facts were a little bit off. Corey’s had a full couple of weeks. He’s still getting back on his game, but the essence of it was right; there is a system in play where delegates being selected and the manner and influence behind that doesn’t seem to be reflective of the popular vote,” Hammond added.
RNC chair Reince Preibus tweeted about the issue last week, saying the rules have been known for nearly a year and it’s the campaign’s responsibility to understand those rules.
The Republican Party of Florida chair also weighed in. “Clearly Mr. Lewandowski were erroneous. The party and I have been neutral during this process. The accurate statement is I recommend a slate of 15 at large delegates,” Blaise Ingoglie said. “There are a lot of actual Trump campaign people that are chosen as delegates or alternate delegates.”WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Mother, friend arrested after child found in hot car outside strip club
- AMBER Alert issued for Madison boy, 7
- Boy missing in Coconut Creek, AMBER Alert issued
- Family killed in triple murder followed by suicide
- Man shot and killed in Clearwater identified
- Pit bull puppy recovers after severe chemical burns
- Principal paddles kindergartner, ignites outrage online
- Deputies: Woman strangled to death after her birthday party
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines