TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Father’s Day celebrations have been on hold for Nelson Garcia and his son Logan for a while now. For the past six years, the pair has been separated when Logan was taken into state custody and Nelson was arrested and sent to jail for seven years.
“Unfortunately a few years ago I had a lifestyle that wasn’t conducive to parenting or being any type of a father, let alone a good one,” said Nelson. “Obviously when you’re in prison it’s a different world. There was a revelation ‘what have I done, where am I’.”
Logan was in a state program handled by Eckerd while his father was locked away. Logan’s mother is also serving time behind bars. But with good behavior Nelson’s sentence was cut and he was released after four years. With his new found freedom, his top goal was clear, to reunite with Logan.
“Within a few days of being released that’s one of the things I did and I was excited because they were excited to go ahead and make the process happen,” said Nelson.
Eckerd, the state contractor, at first allowed short visits, which eventually turned into weekend visits. And about seven months after Nelson was released, he had full custody of Logan, with supervision from the state. That makes Father’s Day 2016 their first together in years. The reunion isn’t lost on 9-year-old Logan. “My favorite thing to do is to learn new things and try out new things with him,” said Logan.
“My favorite thing to do is to learn new things and try out new things with him,” said Logan.
The Father’s Day means the most to Nelson, who is taking a moment to recognize his most important responsibility that he lost but has worked so hard to get back.
“Fun it’s about fun. It’s about nurturing and it’s about making sure he has an opportunity to be a good adult for our community,” added Nelson.SEND US YOUR FATHER’S DAY PHOTOS – firstname.lastname@example.org and we will feature them on air and onlineSEE MORE TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- Florida parents arrested in death of toddler who had morphine in his system
- Crews fighting 6-alarm warehouse fire off I-75 in Sarasota
- Sheriff: Gator drowned boy, 2, at Disney beach; body recovered
- North Port officers celebrate birthday of boy with autism after no one responds to invites
- Disney opens its first theme park in mainland China
- President Obama to meet with victims’ families, survivors of Orlando massacre
- Nine jobs robots could be replacing soon
- 5-year-old girl survives shark bite
- Dead, 11-foot-long gator pulled from storm drain
- Report: Orlando shooter’s wife tried to talk him out of attack