TAMPA, Fla (WFLA) — Florida retailers are gearing up for back-to-school shopping ahead of Florida’s school sales tax holiday, which is set to begin this weekend.
From Aug. 7 to Aug. 9, Floridians can save on a number of back to school items, including clothing, footwear, and backpacks under $60. Computers and accessories will also exempt from taxation.
“It’s up to $1,000 on a computer purchase so we’re happy with that especially at a time when you’re going to have a lot of people opting for virtual learning,” said Scott Shalley, President and CEO of the Florida Retail Federation.
The Department of Revenue announced earlier this week that masks will also be tax-free.
Shalley told On Your Side technology will be a popular item this year as more parents choose online learning for their children.
“A lot of the traditional purchases are still in play, you still will get the basic school supplies, but I think the biggest shift will be in regards to a little more towards technology than what we have seen in the past,” said Scott Shalley, President &CEO Florida Retail Federation.
The sales tax holiday will not apply to:
- Any item of clothing selling for more than $60
- Any school supply item selling for more than $15
- Books that are not otherwise exempt
- Computers and computer-related accessories purchased for commercial purposes
- Rentals or leases of any eligible items
- Repairs or alterations of any eligible items
- Sales of any eligible items in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment, or airport
For a full list of items that are exempt or taxable during the sales tax holiday timeframe, check out the list below.
- Dog rescued after being spotted running in northbound lanes of I-275
- Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino to resign, effective Friday
- DeSantis: Florida’s statewide COVID-19 vaccine registration site expanding this week
- Frontline nurses at Raymond James testing site upset they weren’t included in Super Bowl ticket giveaway
- For a Tampa teen, it’s been a lifetime since the Buccaneers have been in the Super Bowl