TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — The driver accused of killing a man in a wrong-way crash has been on the run for three years. Today the victim’s father held a protest, hoping that it might lead to the discovery of the accused killer.
William Angel was driving along I-275 with friends when they were hit head-on by a wrong-way driver four years ago. Today, his father is still trying to find justice.
“I don’t know how many times I’m going to do this, but I’m going to do it until Christopher’s caught,” said Wade Angel, who held signs and waved along Bearss Avenue.
It’s a one-man protest: One father, who lost one son, now looking for one man. “I’m not going to forget, I’m not going to go away,” said Angel.
Wade Angel’s protest is directed from one parent to another. Christopher Ponce is accused of hitting and killing William in a wrong way crash on I-275. Ponce was arrested, but while out on bond he cut off his ankle bracelet and hasn’t been seen since.
That was three years ago.
On Thursday, Angel stood outside of Ponce’s mother’s dental office. Angel is convinced as are investigators, that Ponce is getting help where ever he is hiding.
“In my opinion, it’s coming from his family. And it doesn’t have to be directly from his parents, It could be the family in Miami,” said Angel.
“You see commercials that say ‘Ask your doctor about this drug, ask your dentists about this toothpaste, ask your dentist.’ I said, ‘Ask your dentist where’s your killer son?’, ” said Angel about the signs that he’s posted.
Angel tells News Channel 8 his goal is simple, “Because no matter where he is somebody is living near him and this whole thing boils down to getting our story and his picture in front of them.”
This story has gotten national attention, airing on CNN’s “The Hunt.” And while tips have come in, nothing has led to Chris Ponce. Obviously, this father doesn’t think his work is done.
Investigators with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office tell News Channel 8 that Ponce is a fugitive who has been entered into the national database. However, they suspect he’s fled the country.
News Channel 8 received the following statement from Christopher Ponce’s mother, Vivian Medina: “In response to Mr. Angel who was protesting outside my office today, I have fully cooperated with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office and the US Marshal’s offices. I have had no involvement in my son’s disappearance nor have I aided him in any way. I miss my son every day and while I am sorry for the Angel family’s loss, his slanderous comments and continued disruption of my business are unwarranted.”WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Ocala mother justified in shooting, killing husband under ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
- VIDEO: Disoriented sea turtle found wandering outside Sarasota hotel
- Road Ranger critically injured in 4-vehicle crash on Howard Frankland
- Casey Anthony attorney Jose Baez fires back at former private investigator
- Sheriff: Ex-husband killed missing Florida mom, search for body underway
- VIDEO: Polk County driver almost plows into student getting on school bus
- Hillsborough fifth-grader investigated for alleged attempt to poison classmate
- VIDEO: 6-month-old Orlando baby goes waterskiing; parents say it’s a record
- Ford recalls 271K pickups to fix brake fluid leak
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines