ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) — St. Petersburg police detectives believe they’ve solved the mystery surrounding a dead woman whose body was found wedged in a window near an abandoned baby in a stroller.
At 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, St. Petersburg Police Department officers responded to a call about a baby left abandoned in a stroller at 2141 15th Avenue South. When officers arrived, they discovered a woman trapped in a side window of the rear dwelling.
Police said the woman appeared to be trying to get into the rear dwelling via a window and became stuck. Her body became wedged on the window sill and she was found dead in that position. She did not live at that home but had previously stayed there.
Detectives later identified the woman as Niesha Nicole Annie Henderson, 24, who was homeless and had previously stayed at the address a couple of times in the recent past. She was believed to be asthmatic.
Police say Henderson had went to the address earlier with her 9-month-old son. She apparently left her son in the stroller and utilized a plastic lawn chair and a milk crate to stand up in an attempt to get through the window that was five feet above ground level.
The chair fell over as Henderson got her head and arms through the window and she became wedged on the window sill. It is unclear how long Henderson may have been stuck in the window before she died.
Police have not said who is caring for her son.Most-Clicked Stories
- City releases names, ages, of 49 nightclub shooting victims
- How to Help: Donate blood, money
- JetBlue offering free Orlando flights to shooting victims’ family, domestic partners
- Complicated picture emerges of Orlando nightclub shooter
- The Latest: Orlando shooter went to club before, no sign attack was terrorist-directed
- Orlando victims remembered at Lakeland vigil
- President Obama to visit Orlando Thursday
- Thousands attend vigil in Orlando for nightclub shooting victims
- Two young Polk county women among the slain in Orlando
- Former Largo resident among the deceased in Orlando shooting