CHICAGO (AP) — A Chicago man is being held in lieu of $1 million bond in connection with the death of a three-year-old on Friday.
Lehleni Edwards was found unresponsive in bed at a West Side Chicago residence early Friday. She was taken to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, where she died.
Terrence Space is charged with first-degree murder in the death of the child. The Cook County medical examiner’s office says an autopsy determined Lehleni died from multiple injuries from child abuse. Space, a West Side resident who had been dating Lehlani’s mother, was arrested Friday in Bolingbrook.
During a bond hearing Sunday, Cook County prosecutors said Space, 23, called the girl’s mother, who wasn’t at home, and told her the child would not wake up. He then fled the home. Prosecutors said Space admitted to being alone with Lehleni late Friday but did not admit to causing the injuries.
It wasn’t immediately known if Space has an attorney to speak on his behalf.
A spokesman for the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services says the agency is investigating the girl’s death.
- Tampa’s FEMA mass vaccination site reopens Monday, nearly half of the daily supply goes unused
- Tyler Glasnow fans 14, Adames homers as Rays blank Rangers 1-0
- Biden meets with bipartisan group of lawmakers to discuss American Jobs Plan
- Virginia AG wants police records after Army officer stopped
- Macaulay Culkin, Brenda Song announce birth of first child together