HAINES CITY, Fla. (WFLA) – Firefighters in Polk County had to act quickly this weekend to save a building after a suspected hoverboard fire.
Members of the Haines City Fire Department were called to an apartment on Baker Dairy Road around 2 p.m. Saturday for the fire. The family living there had already evacuated due to smoke in the building.
Responding crews say they found flames in just one room, and were able to extinguish them with water to minimize the damage.
Fire officials say the culprit was an electronic hoverboard the family had just plugged in to charge. They believe there was some kind of electrical malfunction between the board and the outlet it was plugged into.
Smoke caused serious damage throughout the building, and the family was forced to find another place to stay for the night.
The fire department says this situation could have been far worse, and tells News Channel 8 the aggressive response from firefighters helped prevent the fire from spreading to other apartments nearby.
The department posted photos of the aftermath on their Facebook page, showing the charred remains of the hoverboard and the smoke damage left behind on the walls of the building.
STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Deputies: 2 dead, 1 hurt after land dispute in Plant City
- EXCLUSIVE: Elderly choking victim opens up about brutal Palm Harbor attack
- April the Giraffe gives birth: What to expect after the baby is born
- Tampa newborn gets special giraffe hat for sharing birthday with April’s baby
- Ex-NFL player driving truck that ran over, killed daughter
- North Port police search for robbery suspect