Couple found passed out in vehicle from overdose with toddler trapped inside

News
11814556_g_217864

MILWAUKEE COUNTY, WI (WISN/CNN) — A photo from Ohio went viral last week of a couple passed out in their car from a heroin overdose, with a child in the backseat. After seeing that photo on Facebook, a Milwaukee woman shared a disturbing video of what she says was a similar situation.

“We ran down the stairs and we saw the car right here,” said Theresa, who did not give her last name.

The video shows what Theresa and her husband found outside their home in March when their eighth-grade son screamed for them, fearing he’d seen dead people parked in front of the house.

“He looks in, and there’s two people passed out in the car, and he runs into the house,” she said. “He almost falls up the stairs screaming mom and dad.”

Theresa and her husband came out to find a man and a woman passed out, possibly dying, from an apparent overdose. The unconscious woman’s 2-year-old son also was inside the car.

“We didn’t touch them because we didn’t know if there were needles in the car, and we didn’t want to,” Theresa said. “We just grabbed the baby out. He was in the back seat. He was trying to get out. He was walking around in the car, and the car was running.”

Another video clip shows firefighters on the scene a few minutes later, saving the lives of the couple form the car. They administered Narcan, which reverses the effects of an opioid overdose.

As the video continues, the man can be seen outside of the car as well, as rescue crews work on both of them. They both survived.

Victoria Warzyniakowski, 27, and Matthew Huber, 41, were later convicted of child neglect. Police found more than 200 pills in a bottle from Huber’s pocket, nearly all of them opioids.

Theresa and her family took the baby inside and fed him, caring for him until child protective services picked him up.

“I thank God that it happened here, because what if they were driving, or you know, there could’ve been an accident,” Theresa said. “The little boy could’ve, anything could’ve happened, so I thank God that it happened here in front of our house. It’s a horrible thing, but I really thank God that it happened here.”

Huber ended up dying last week from another apparent overdose.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Videos

More Video

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss