TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Vice President Mike Pence was in Tampa on Thursday to meet with Gov. Ron DeSantis to discuss the efforts the state is taking to combat COVID-19.
Pence, the head of the Coronavirus Task Force, met with DeSantis at USF Health’s Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation.
The vice president was initially supposed to visit Sarasota on Thursday. He called off the visit, as well as his scheduled Florida bus tour, due to the recent surge of coronavirus cases in the Sunshine State.
Pence announced during a Coronavirus Task Force briefing on Friday that he would visit Florida and other hard-hit states like Texas and Arizona to speak with their governors.
Air Force Two arrived in Tampa around 2 p.m. Thursday. Pence and Dr. Deborah Birx, another member of the coronavirus task force, then met with reporters along with Gov. DeSantis.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Doctor documenting all health care workers killed by COVID-19, data no agency is accurately tracking
- Fight to stop school reopening in Flordia likely on hold
- Coronavirus fears loom heavy on the minds of Florida voters
- CDC warns against drinking hand sanitizer following reports of multiple deaths
- Jewelry, strippers & a Lamborghini: Texas man accused of COVID-19 fraud