GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) – Police have arrested a man suspected of forcing his way into a north Florida apartment, shooting a dog and putting a victim in the dog’s cage.
The Gainesville Sun reports that two men on Saturday forced their way into the apartment and held the occupants at gunpoint.
Police say that once forcing their way in, 18-year-old Umajeo “Joey” Tong and another suspect demanded valuables and ate from the refrigerator.
When the victims’ dog confronted the suspects, police say they shot and killed the animal and placed one of the victims in the dog’s cage.
Tong was found in nearby woods and is being charged with home invasion and animal cruelty. He’s being held on a $550,000 bond.
Police are still searching for the other suspect.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Mom dies trying to save toddler during hiking fall
- Body found on side of I-75 after hit-and-run crash
- OroGold owner talks to ‘Better Call Behnken’ about $6,000 face cream bill
- Chyna’s manager says she died from accidental overdose of prescriptions
- St. Pete man records himself asking to use Target women’s bathroom
- Three Tampa Bay area hospitals receive ‘D’ grades
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines