CHICAGO (NBC) — The Christopher Columbus statue at Chicago’s Grant Park was vandalized Friday night following an evening protest that called for defunding the Chicago Police Department.
Officials say several protesters and police officers appeared to clash near the statue, resulting in pepper spray being deployed.
Officials reported at least four officers were taken to the hospital with injuries. They say protesters appeared to surround the statue and shout things such as “Columbus was a murderer.”
The evening rally, which began at Buckingham Foundation around 5 p.m., was organized by Black Lives Matter Chicago, Chi-Nations Youth Council, Black Youth Project 100, and other groups.
- Halloween goes on at the White House with a few twists
- Rays fans shake off loss to Dodgers, get ready for Game 6
- Early vote total exceeds 2016; GOP chips at Dems’ advantage
- 3-year-old dies from gunshot wound at his birthday party
- Pope Francis appoints first Black American cardinal