TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – It’s the week of the National Spelling Bee, and with the 90-year-old tradition comes the reminder that the 50 spellers who qualified for the competition’s finals probably didn’t have to rely on Google to hone their spelling skills.
However, a recent report from Google Trends shows the most searched “how to spell…” words in each state across the country.
Five states along the southeast, along with Texas and California have relied on Google to show the correct way to spell “beautiful.”
Other popular state spelling searches included “veterinarian” in Delaware and “Hawaii” in Hawaii.
The Tampa Bay area had these six school-aged competitors in the National Spelling Bee:
- Dev Shah, Ridgecrest Elementary School
- Arsh Shah, Dunedin Highland Middle School
- Karina Montoya, Odessa Christian School
- Maryclare Nestor, Espiritu Santo Catholic School
- Neil Dave, Lakeland Christian School
- David De Coursy, Berkeley Preparatory School’
By Thursday afternoon, none of the local competitors remained.