TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA)- As the Lakeland Police Department mourns the loss of its second officer in just over a month, the entire Tampa Bay community is taking extra time to observe National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day.
With hundreds of these heroes in uniform protecting our own community, here is a breakdown of law enforcement across the country and the dangers they face on a daily basis.
Nationally, there are more than 900,000 sworn law enforcement officers, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. Those law enforcement officers are employed by more than 18,000 federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies around the United States.
In Florida, there are 387 law enforcement agencies employing more than 46,100 sworn law enforcement officers.
According to the most recent data from the Department of Justice, the number of law enforcement officers killed accidentally across the country in 2019 is nearly equal to the 44 killed by a firearm.
“Law enforcement officers are one big family,” Sheriff Grady Judd said in a press conference Thursday morning. “We wear different color uniforms, but we work together and we’re all friends. And this is one more horrible example of what occurs to law enforcement officers in the line of duty.”
- ‘We’re coming for your job’: Tampa Bay BLM threatens Gov. DeSantis while protesting anti-riot law
- Pasco deputies searching for missing woman
- Florida couple attempts to hold wedding at mansion they did not own
- Gov. DeSantis sued over new ‘anti-riot’ law
- Students Against Destructive Decisions featured on Bloom with Gayle Guyardo