ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — A former University of Michigan basketball player who survived two deadly plane crashes in his youth is engaged.
Twenty-two-year-old Austin Hatch proposed Friday to 21-year-old Abby Cole during the college’s graduation weekend. MLive.com reports that Cole, a former Wolverines volleyball player, promptly said yes.
Hatch was a Michigan basketball player his freshman year and later a team assistant, but he’s now focusing on academics in the school’s College of Literature, Science & the Arts.
Hatch had just committed to the Wolverines when his father and stepmother were killed in a 2011 airplane crash in Charlevoix, Michigan, that left him in a coma for weeks.
The Fort Wayne, Indiana, native also survived a 2003 Indiana airplane crash that killed his mother, sister and brother.
Hatch’s father was piloting both planes.STORIES THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Firefighters: Brush fire in Hernando County 60 percent contained
- VIDEO: Major crash, boat fire snarl traffic on I-75 in Hillsborough
- 1 of 5 children hit by suspected DUI driver in Polk dies from injuries
- WATCH VIDEO: Plane loses wheel, makes emergency landing at Sarasota airport
- Million dollar lawsuit filed against Chip Gaines of ‘Fixer Upper’
- Hundreds march in Tampa to promote clean energy
- SpaceX cancels Falcon 9 launch