TAMPA, Fla. - La Segunda bakery in Ybor City is world famous and part of the fabric of Tampa Bay.
La Segunda bakery is known for its Cuban bread that's crunchy on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside.
"I love the bread. I won't go anywhere without recognizing La Segunda. If it's another bread I know it's not La Segunda bread cause I know the taste," says longtime customer Theresa Raymondo.
It's a taste that is known around the world!
"Not Miami, Tampa! Cause Cuban bread came from Tampa," says Raymondo.
"1915. My great grandfather started the business," says Copeland More.
More now runs La Segunda. He's fourth-generation and in charge of the business that was started by a Spaniard who fought in the Spanish American War, stayed in Cuba and learned how to bake Cuban bread.
"He brought it to Ybor City in the early 20th century with the big cigar boom that was going on, so his business was feeding the cigar work," says More.
Now he's feeding more than just Ybor City. La Segunda has expanded to a second bakery and cafe on West Kennedy in Tampa.
"Well we took our time right? We wanted to get it right. I think I'm very happy with how everything turned out," says More.
So are the loyal customers! Now though, they're hoping for a different type of expansion!
"I think delivery would be great when I can't drive anymore. I'll call them and they'll bring me my cafe con leche and Cuban toast," laughs Raymondo.
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- USF St. Pete offers apology, reason for 'mistake' acceptance letters
- California could become 1st state to offer parents 6 months of paid leave
- Police search for shooter in Monday homicide, victims had just left crowded gas station parking lot
- Housing agencies feeling the heat admist government shutdown