TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Pirate season is upon us and as the legend of Jose Gaspar made its way to Tampa Bay, so did tons of buried treasure.
Over the years the Tampa Bay History Center has collected real pirate and shipwreck artifacts from the Florida waters.
The historic artifacts in the “Treasure Seekers” gallery date back to the 1600s and include navigational tools, weaponry, pottery and other items recovered from the coasts of Florida.
The Touchton Map Library is home to thousands of original maps, charts and other documents dating back to the discovery of the New World.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the Treasure Seekers exhibit at the Tampa Bay History Center.
- Florida Strawberry Festival brings longtime traditions, new treats to Plant City
- ‘Applied Science & Performance Institute’ keeps hearts healthy with unique technology
- Acrobats show trick secrets behind the scenes at ‘Circus Sarasota’
- Tampa ballet school named ‘best in Southeast’ prepares for next big competition
- Spectrum Field prepared to feed hungry Phillies fans with new items for spring training