(CNN) – Scientists thought this tiny deer-like animal was extinct.
But 30 years later, the “Chevrotain” has been photographed in Vietnam.
Despite the nickname and appearance, Chevrotains are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest hoofed mammals.
Researchers thought they were extinct because of the illegal wildlife trade.
Scientist warn that just because this species was found, doesn’t mean it isn’t threatened.
Some want to put conservation measures in place to ensure the Chevrotains survive.
Details of the rediscovery were published Monday in the Scientific Journal Nature Ecology and Evolution.
- Search underway for suspect who shot Walmart store manager in the leg in Bradenton
- Two Bradenton officers under investigation after dog attack, shooting
- President Trump talks Supreme Court nominee, election, coronavirus and football in NewsNation interview
- USF RB Johnny Ford says he has another chance to do what he loves this season
- Reese’s launches big cups with pretzels because ‘we’re all feeling a little bit salty’ in 2020