SEATTLE (AP) — Zookeepers at a Seattle zoo say a baby gorilla was badly injured Saturday when he was caught in a skirmish between his family group members.
Animal health experts at the Woodland Park Zoo say little Kitoko was bitten on the head, likely by accident when another gorilla tried to bite his mother.
Kitoko sustained a fractured skull and a severe laceration, but zoo officials say the 2-month-old gorilla underwent surgery and they are cautiously optimistic that he will fully recover if he doesn’t develop an infection.
The zoo brought in a team of pediatric neurosurgeons to perform the surgery.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Police investigating serious 3-car crash in Pinellas Park
- MLB cancels All-Star Game for first time since 1945
- Former USF student who started social media movement on sex assault allegations speaks out
- Photos show police reenacting chokehold on Elijah McClain
- World War II vet, grandson share graduation stage in a touching moment