(AP) – Airbnb is banning house parties worldwide as it tries to clean up its reputation and comply with limits on gatherings during the pandemic.
The San Francisco-based home-sharing company said it will limit occupancy in its rental homes to 16 people. It may offer exceptions for boutique hotels or other event venues.
Airbnb said it may pursue legal action against guests and hosts who violate the ban.
Airbnb has always prohibited unauthorized parties, and the company said nearly 75% of its listings explicitly ban parties. But after a deadly shooting at a California Airbnb rental last Halloween, the company has taken multiple steps to crackdown.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Prosecutors: Florida man lied to get virus relief money
- First COVID-19 treatment approved by FDA studied early on during pandemic at Sarasota Memorial Hospital
- Local hospitalized man racks up bills on stolen truck trapped in tow yard, family says company won’t budge on price
- Navy: ‘Aircrew did not survive’ crash in Alabama neighborhood
- Questions remain on if, how COVID-19 impacts the human heart