PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. (CNN) — Florida recorded its youngest death from COVID-19 last week, a 9-year-old girl.
Kimora Lynum died last Saturday in Putnam County. Her family said she had no underlying health conditions when she developed a very high fever.
They say she was taken to the hospital for treatment, but was sent home. The child reportedly collapsed a short time later and died after her heart failed.
Her family has no idea how or where “Kimmi” contracted the coronavirus. Her grief-stricken mother says the child was healthy and stayed home all summer and had no contact with anyone who had COVID-19.
The 9-year-old is the fifth child in Florida to die from the virus.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Florida on track to top 1 million total coronavirus cases this week
- NYC school system, largest in the US, to begin phased reopening in December
- Fauci: US may see ‘surge upon surge’ of virus in weeks ahead
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 7,364 new cases, expected to hit 1 million total cases within next 2 days
- Couple holds wedding ceremony outside living facility for grandmother to see