PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. (CNN) — Florida recorded its youngest death from COVID-19 last week, a 9-year-old girl.
Kimora Lynum died last Saturday in Putnam County. Her family said she had no underlying health conditions when she developed a very high fever.
They say she was taken to the hospital for treatment, but was sent home. The child reportedly collapsed a short time later and died after her heart failed.
Her family has no idea how or where “Kimmi” contracted the coronavirus. Her grief-stricken mother says the child was healthy and stayed home all summer and had no contact with anyone who had COVID-19.
The 9-year-old is the fifth child in Florida to die from the virus.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 5,645 new cases, 62 new deaths
- EU agency links J&J shot to rare clots, says odds favor use
- Ted Nugent, who once dismissed COVID-19, sickened by virus
- New COVID-19 strains and case surges could result from vaccine hesitancy, Tampa Bay doctors say
- COVID-19 vaccine and fertility: What you need to know