State inspectors temporarily closed six Tampa Bay eateries from February 29 to March 5, 2016. We’ve listed the restaurants that were closed below, along with details about what inspectors say they found.
Tequila Mexican Restaurant and Grill located at 7827 Temple Terrace Hwy, Temple Terrace
- 20 live roaches in bin in middle of dry storage back of kitchen.
- 10 live roaches on shelf with food and single service items in dry storage area
- 10 live roaches on and under prep table next to dishwashing machine.
- 5 live roaches on cook’s line between wall and wall cove.
- Small flying insects in bar area: 2 flies, flying in and out of service area to seating area.
- Dead roaches on premises: 10-20 throughout establishment
Geckos Grill & Pub located at 7228 E. 55th Ave., Bradenton
- 1 live roach on wall above mop sink,.
- 15 live roaches between wall and shelf above rear sink near spice containers.
- Roaches killed and disposed of by manager.
- Roach excrement and/or droppings present around electrical receptacles and along pipes beneath rear prep table, inside sink cabinets in men’s restroom.
- 1 dead roach in glue trap in wait station cabinet.
- 2 dead roaches beneath rear prep table.
Ice Sport Forum located at 10222 Elizabeth Pl., Tampa
- 3 live roaches on wall behind reach-in coolers.
- 5 live roaches on single door reach-in cooler
- 5 live roaches on wheel of reach-in cooler.
- 1 live roach on drain on cook’s line.
- 3 live roaches in electric cord extender under reach-in cooler by drain.
- 1 dead roach on wheel of reach-in cooler.
- 1 dead roach on floor by reach-in cooler.
- Stop Sale Order issued for dented/rusted cans of chick peas.
Bangkok Tokyo located at 7337 52 Pl. E., Bradenton
- 20 live roaches on wall at dishwashing machine.
- 5 live roaches in dishwashing machine control panel.
- 5 live roaches in hole of wall beneath dishwashing machine.
- 2 live roaches on shelves at steam table.
- Roach excrement and/or droppings present beneath microwave.
- Roach egg casing in cabinet at sushi bar.
- 2 dead roaches on shelves on cook’s line.
- 3 dead roaches beneath microwave.
Good Doggies located at 5750 Fruitville Rd., Sarasota
- Establishment operating with no potable running water.
- Hot water not provided/shut off at employee handwash sink. The operator states she does not know how to restore water in the unit as she is a part time employee and does not use the sink for hand washing.
- No running water is available at the location.
- Employee touched soiled surface and then engaged in food preparation, handled clean equipment or utensils, or touched unwrapped single-service items without washing hands. The employee handled customer’s personal item (debit card) and returned to work.
Green Gator, 9202 Anderson Rd., Tampa
- 100 rodent droppings in small back storage area.
- 200 rodent droppings in back storage room.
- 20 rodent droppings on prep table shelf.
- 50 rodent droppings by back door.
- 20-25 rodent droppings on food shelf.
- 30-50 rodent droppings under reach-in coolers on cook’s line.
- 75 rodent droppings by 3-compartment sink.
- 50 rodent droppings by servers’ area.
- 20 rodent droppings under Coke machine in dining room.
The following 8 Tampa Bay restaurants received the most violations during inspections conducted from February 29 to March 5, 2016
- 7 live flies in the mop room.
- Employee on shake line observed wearing ear buds with the cord hanging over open food containers and onto the counter.
- Pickles without lid have a bag of sauce stored directly on the pickles.
- Establishment operating without a license from the Division of Hotels and Restaurants.
- Evidence of mop/cleaning wastewater dumped onto ground.
- Raw animal foods not properly separated from one another based upon minimum required cooking temperature in walk-in cooler: shell eggs stored over ground beef.
- Hotel and Restaurant license is expired.
- 1 live roach under counter near ice machine at front line area. 1 live roach found in cabinet behind pastry coolers on front line area, 1 live roach in crevice of plastic of glass sliding door reach in freezer at front line.
- Roach droppings on shelf above hand sink near cook’s line.
- Nonfood-grade containers used for food storage.
- Chemical test kit not used to ensure proper sanitization of equipment and utensils when using a chemical sanitizer.
- Soil residue in food storage containers.
- Observed bartender not wash hands then make beer and place orange in beer with bare hands.
- Chicken wings held at less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above.
- No soap provided at handwash sink.
- One live roach found on caster of crash cart on cook’s line.
- Roach excrement and/or droppings present in corner wall near dish machine.
- Nonfood-grade basting brush used in food.
- 1 live roach found crawling along back of buffet steam table.
- Toxic substance/chemical stored in food preparation area with potential to cause cross contamination: bottle of degreaser next to microwave.
- Plastic yogurt containers reused to hold spices.
- Stop sale order issued for food with mold-like growth. Could not identify the food. Was molded and broken down to a soupy mix. Operator also could not identify.
- Raw animal food stored over cooked food: raw pork stored over cooked beef.
- Straws provided for customer self-service not individually wrapped or in an approved dispenser.
- 148 live roaches found at Tampa Bay area restaurant
- Hundreds of rodent droppings found at Tampa Bay area restaurant
- Inspectors find 2 live rodents at Tampa Bay area restaurant