ST. PETERSBURG, FL (WFLA) — Two police officers working with the Auto Theft Task Force were injured in an early morning crash with a stolen vehicle full of teens early Monday morning, St. Petersburg Police say.
A St. Petersburg Police officer was driving the undercover pick-up truck, and a Tampa Police officer was in the passenger seat, when the crash happened at Central Ave and 54th Street.
Police say a stolen car was speeding around 12:23 a.m. with six people in the car — four females and two males. The stolen car then struck the pick-up truck the officers were traveling in. Police say some teens were seriously injured, and taken to several St. Petersburg area hospitals.
The driver, 25-year-old Jamal Parker, was seriously injured and remains in very critical condition. The other people in the car, two 15-year-olds, two 17-year-olds and one 18-year-old, had less serious injuries.
Police say the Toyota Corolla they were riding in was stolen on March 11th from 2120 27th St. S.
The police officers were working together as part of the Auto Theft Task Force but were not involved in a pursuit. The officers were taken to area hospitals; their injuries are not considered life-threatening.
Central Ave at 54th St. will remain closed for several hours for the investigation.
Stay with WFLA.com for updates.
TODAY’S TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- Community mourns deputy killed in wrong-way crash that took life of another driver
- Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg gets green light
- Polk deputy takes to Facebook to thank good Samaritan
- HCSO flags at half-staff in honor of deputy killed in crash
- AAA warns of drowsy driving after losing an hour of sleep
- PET FOOD RECALL: Purina wet dog food
- Grady Judd: Not good idea ‘to taunt the Sheriff’s Office on Facebook’
- Joe’s Crab Shack in MN apologized for offensive table decor
- Wounded Warrior fires execs over spending accusations
- Police: Dad leaves baby in car, goes into strip club
- VIDEO: Brawl breaks out over boom box on LAX-bound flight
- >>Back to WFLA.com homepage for the latest stories making headlines