TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. (WFLA) — Ten students were arrested after a brawl broke out at Tarpon Springs High School on Tuesday morning – two weeks before the end of the school year. Snapchat video captured students hurling insults and fists.
Two school resource officers radioed for help. Fourteen additional Tarpon Springs officers arrived, in addition to Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office deputies.
The Tarpon Springs Police Department officers arrived at the school at 11:43 a.m. “In this case here, it was a melee,” Police Major Jeffrey Young said. “There were kids running from all directions in there, screaming, yelling and trying to get in there to get involved.”
A TSPD spokesperson said that the initial fight involved four female students. They began fighting about an incident that happened over the weekend in Palm Harbor. Several male students then got involved in the fight. The fighting happened in and around Building #9.
Police say that none of the students involved would listen to the repeated instructions of school staff or officers on scene to stop their aggressive behavior.
Officers say they arrested 10 students in the interest of the safety of all students and staff. Officers wanted to quell the situation before it could escalate any further
The four females and six males were all charged with Disorderly Conduct.
A TSPD spokesperson said that the 10 students who were arrested are juveniles and are in grades 9, 10 and 11. There were no serious injuries reported and no weapons were involved.
Officers remained on campus the remainder of the day as a precaution.
Principal Leza Fatolitis called parents. “I’m calling this afternoon to let you know there was an altercation that occurred at our school today involving a few students,” the principal’s message said.
News Channel 8 talked with students Tuesday.
“I almost got like trampled; there was like everyone just running. And then me and my friend were standing there like, just scared. We didn’t know what to do,” senior Brianna Quinlan said.
“There’s only so many administrators. I mean, you even had students breaking up fights, trying to break ’em up, in with the police officers,” Jakub Cuomo said.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Police: Children living in Polk home filled with feces, no food or water
- Outraged parents of injured toddler take to social media
- Hazmat crews respond to Sarasota Planned Parenthood, 7 treated
- Police: Children living in home filled with feces, no food or water
- Florida fishermen catch 347-pound monster grouper
- FL teen calls escort, gets robbed
- Venice couple overjoyed by man’s random act of kindness
- Float party in St. Pete Beach proceeds, despite protest
- Woman redeems 22-year-old Disney Park Hopper pass she never got to use at age 4
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines