(NBC)—A video showing a white woman calling New York City police alleging that a black man was threatening her in Central Park after he asked her to put her dog on a leash has gone viral.
Christian Cooper told NBC New York that he was bird watching in the park on Monday when he noticed a dog running free. He approached the woman walking the dog to ask that she put it back on a leash as regulated. The woman refused and Cooper began filming their interaction, which his sister later posted on Twitter.
In the video, the woman who has identified herself as Amy Cooper — no relation to Christian — asks him to stop filming while pulling out her phone and saying: “I’m going to tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life.”
NBC News could not immediately reach Christian Cooper for comment. Amy Cooper declined to speak to NBC News late Monday but said by text message that she would respond Tuesday.
Amy Cooper later told NBC New York that she was sorry for her behavior.
- Despite IRS warning, stimulus checks and debit cards cause confusion
- Variant strain of COVID-19 detected in Hillsborough County, infectious disease doctor says
- When can grandparents safely visit their grandkids after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 12,311 new cases; total hospitalizations surpass 70K
- California mom describes allergic reaction to Moderna vaccine