(CNN) – Nearly 150,000 people have signed a petition asking that the Halloween holiday be moved from October 31st to the last Saturday of October.
The petition was launched on Change.org by the nonprofit Halloween and Costume Association.
The group says such a move would make the Halloween celebration safer and less stressful.
As of October 14, more than 149,000 people had signed the petition.
Halloween traces its roots to All Hallow’s Eve, which started as a Pagan festival celebrated by the Celts thousands of years ago.
MORE SPOOKY STORIES
- Top 10 searched Halloween costume ideas for 2019
- Cold Stone Creamery turns ice cream black for Halloween
- Police warn parents after Nerd Ropes found in drug bust
- Spooky spirit: Wesley Chapel family changes Halloween display every day
- From spooktacular fun to tasty treats, check out fall fun at Walt Disney World
- College admissions scandal is now a Halloween costume
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are America’s favorite Halloween candy, poll shows
- Yandy pays tribute to Mr. Rogers with sexy Halloween costume
- Get paid $1,300 to watch 13 Stephen King movies by Halloween
- Democratic governors reject Trump’s call to send in military
- Hillsborough County offers free resource for business owners affected by pandemic
- Black-owned business in Tampa rebuilds after weekend looting
- Officer shot in head during Las Vegas protests on life support
- Bishop overseeing church ‘outraged’ by Trump photo-op